Thursday, September 11, 2008

I will never forget!

Where were you 7 years ago today? That day was 9/11/2001


I remember exactly where I was! I was living at Snow College and that day was a Tuesday because I had microbiology lab that day. I'm not sure if it was the first day of the lab or not. But my lab started at 7 am. I got up and went to class and I drove my car to class (it was like a block and a half from class). After the lab was over, I got back in my car and went home and I was listening to the Snow College radio station and heard the DJ's talking about the Twin Towers getting hit by planes and I said outloud "that is not a joke, why are they joking about something like that" and when I got my apartment, I sat out in the parking lot and kept listening. I couldn't believe what I was hearing! I ended up calling my mom and I asked her if this was real. She said yes and that it was on tv and I could see the live thing on tv. At that time, our cable in the apartment hadn't been set up yet so we didn't have tv. I was going crazy!!! I found out that the neighbors in Pinetree #26 had their cable so I ran next door and the girls were all huddled around the tv. I just joined in! That day, nobody moved from the tv. It seemed like the longest day ever. I went to my design class just because I had it once a week but our teacher had the tv on and we just sat there watching the news all class. Everywhere you went, the tv was on and they were watching CNN. Everybody was in shock that this happened. That night our singles ward was called together to do a special ward prayer and special fast for the victims the families and I remember distinctly that the Bishop said that everything was going to be ok. We stayed at the church for a while after the prayer and nobody wanted to leave. We all wanted to stay together because we knew there at that time and place we were all safe. We were told to go fill our cars up with gas. I know that sounds funny but looking back, that is something I will ALWAYS remember. For some reason, the price of $1.78 sticks out in my mind. And I just looked on google for gas prices before 9/11 and it said $1.66 (according to money.cnn.com) So maybe that was the price of gas around that time. I have kept the newspaper from the next few days after 9/11 and they are currently in my cedar chest. I knew that one day I was going to have to teach my children about this and it is going to be history. I wanted them to know what it was like and what was the current events on those days.



While going to work, I drive past East High. Today they had a bunch of Veterans outside the flag pole. I was very intrigued by it and it really struck me. I love seeing the flag and knowing that people have fought to keep me free and to let me live the way that I have. On the radio they were taking phone calls and texts about "what were you doing 7 years ago" and they mentioned that the kids that are in school now probably don't remember what happened that day. That really hit me hard. I have been thinking about that all day. The seniors in High School today were only 10 years old that day. When I was 10, I was in 4th grade!

I wanna know what you were doing that day... Are you going to forget all the people who died that day? That day 2,974 people were killed. Every single one of them were someone special to someone. They were someone spouse, parent, child, grandparent, aunt, uncle, friend, etc... Don't forget! I know I won't!

1 comment:

Grandma Labrum said...

I remember "We interrupt this program for breaking news." I turned to look at the TV and saw the smoke from the building. So much for getting ready for school. My thoughts were on the line of where were the air traffic controllers? Why didn't the pilot listen? What went wrong that the plane ended up in the wrong place? Were there problems on the plane and it was crashing? What was happening? At the time the news anchors didn't have any idea about hijacking or anything like that. Then as we watched we could see the other plane coming around and toward the other tower. It was so unbelievable to be actually watching it happen and not be able to stop it. I know I literally stood there with my mouth open. Then when the word came that the Pentagon was hit my thoughts turned to "Someone is attacking us. Something is wrong." Somehow I got to school knowing that I had to keep my third graders calm and assured that their life would go on as usual. They all ran into the room shouting "Did you see those planes?" Teachers kept going to the faculty room to check the news. We stood there in shock as we watched the towers crumble down. I think I got home at 3:05 that day, just to get by myself and watch the TV. Soon the flags went up all over town, such a beautiful site after all the destruction. What a horrible day. It still brings tears to my eyes to remember it. My one regret was not taking time to call each of my children. You guys each called me at school and I felt so bad that I hadn't contacted you but you thought to call me. I won't let that happen again. I will call even if I know I am waking you up.