Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is it really 10 years!?!

When I think back to 9/11, I can remember the day so vividly. I can remember the smell, the feel of the air... I was in my first year at Snow College I was living with one of my best friends, Alissa Jacobson. That Tuesday morning, I got up and was going to my Microbiology lab. I want to say it was the first one of the school semester. The class started at 7, so nothing happened before class. When the class got out at 9, I got to my car and turned on the local college radio station and that's when I heard the news... The World Trade Center was just attacked and an airplane ran into it. I didn't believe it. I didn't live that far from the campus but our apartment didn't have cable yet, so I slowly drove myself home and sat in the parking lot of my house so I could hear more. I got home and I immediately called my mom. I knew she would know what was going on. She was at work but she got on and she confirmed that it was real, a plane had hit the building. She told me I NEED to find a TV! I knew then that this day was going to be something I was going to remember for the rest of my life. This was something different, something tragic. Our neighbors had cable, so we had all crammed into their house. When I say we, I'm saying that literally. I lived with girls from the Snow College basketball team, and ALL of the team (and their roommates) crammed into that the apartment. (We were all really tight that year)

We all missed class that day. I did go to my afternoon class, but we didn't do anything. All of the classes had the News on, the teachers didn't want to miss anything.

That night, the bishop of my college ward called a special prayer. We met at the church and I don' remember much about the prayer but I remember him telling all of us to be prepared for a lot of change. Things are never going to be the same. But the Sunday before the attack, there was a fireside and he said to remember what was said in the fireside (I don't remember what was said). I do remember Bishop saying if we need to, top our cars off with gas, because the gas prices are going to raise and we will see them over $4/gal (we were all in shock!) He made sure to tell us that we were all going to be ok but things were never going to be the same after the events that happened that day. Boy, was he right. You should have seen the line of cars at Maverick that night, everyone wanted to put gas in their cars and make sure we were all full :)

10 years later, I look back and see everything that has gone on. Gas prices have gone up $4/gal. I was thinking the other day that Lexi (my niece) was alive but she was only 1. She has no recollection of what went on. That all the little kids will have to learn about this in history class and I lived through it. I got to see it! That is just amazing to me. This past week in the Emery County Progress they had an article that the kids were going to learn about 9/11 and I thought to myself, why do they need to "learn" about it.. Then it hit me, they were so little! That just really shocks me. It doesn't seem that it was that long ago, but it was 10 years ago! (am I getting that old)

While looking through pictures and videos of all the 9/11 memories, the emotions from that day come back. The days after 9/11, I remember we got the newspaper at our house, I would save the newspaper. I have them tucked away in my cedar chest. I knew that someday someone might want to see things in those paper. I guess I learned that from my grandpa Rue. I have the front page of the paper the day after with a picture of the Twin Towers getting hit.

So, where were you when the world stop turning, that September day? Heaven got a lot of angels that day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember watching the news in my bedroom as I got ready for school. I was standing at the foot of the bed looking at the TV and actually saw the second plane as it came into view heading for and hitting the second tower. And as I was ready to leave the house the Pentagon was hit. One lesson I learned: always call my children when tragic news happens. I should have called you all first to let you know I love you all.